Monday, June 2, 2014

Avis: Reconfirm Reservation to Lower Rate

If you're like me and like to plan ahead, you probably book your rentals at least a few if not several days in advance, maybe even weeks.

Try this little "trick" out... once in a while, go back and "Modify" your existing reservation. Just confirm your previous selections until you get to a screen that shows your original and modified reservations side-by-side. If you like the new price keep it, otherwise just opt to keep your original rate and all is well.

For recent trip to Denver, I reserved my car three weeks ago, and last week I checked the price. Here is the result:


As you can see, my new rate on a one-day rental was over $11 lower. I had another reservation for an upcoming trip to New York where I saved over $150 on a weekly rental with just a few clicks!


I'm a frequent Avis renter so this method has worked for me most of the time (it may work with other companies as well, but I don't personally know yet). The reason I suspect this happens is that, like airlines, car rental companies have dynamic pricing on their cars based on supply-and-demand, and they'll start lowering rates as time gets close if they have a glut of unreserved cars. The difference is that you're not required to prepay for your rental, so if you find a lower rate, you lose nothing by modifying your reservation to receive the lower price (unlike airlines, where they'll likely charge you a hefty change fee).

So the takeaway here: check your Avis bookings every so often! Let me know if it worked for you.

(And also, if you rent before June 30 and also fly AA, be sure to get your bonus miles!)

Disclaimer: Booking your Avis reservation through links on this blog will apply a discount code that may or may not be advantageous to you. The discount code is tied to the author of this blog, and will credit the author with a referral, but you are not required to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment